North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources
NC Division of Coastal Management
house pilings

CAMA Permits

Will My Project Require
a CAMA Permit?

Permits are needed for development in Areas of Environmental Concern. Find out if your project is likely to be in one.

What Type of Permit Will I Need?

There are three types of CAMA permits. Find out which one might be required for your project.

Permit Fees

See how much CAMA permits cost.

Major Permit Applications 

Download forms and instructions to apply for a CAMA major permit.

Minor Permit Applications

Download forms and instructions to apply for a CAMA minor permit.

General Permit Applications

Because of their format, applications for CAMA general permits are not available on the Web. Please call a DCM district office to obtain one.

Adjacent Riparian Property Owner Statement Forms/Agent Authorization
Adjacent riparian property owner notification and waiver forms; agent authorization forms.

When permits are denied, applicants may ask the Coastal Resources Commission for a variance, or appeal the permit decision. Find out more about this process.

Many coastal local governments handle CAMA minor permits through an agreement with the Division of Coastal Management. Find out if there is a local permit officer in your area.



Federal Consistency

Learn about the state's review of Federal activities and non-Federal projects that require a Federal permit and/or license.

A guide to projects that require a CAMA permit.


N.C. Division of Coastal Management . 400 Commerce Ave . Morehead City, NC 28557
1-888-4RCOAST . Email Us